HomePublic → Community Disclosure Scheme

Community Disclosure Scheme

What kind of information is shared?

Step 6

If the checks show that the person you are asking about has a record for sexual offences against children, you may be given relevant information about that person which is necessary and proportionate to protect your child.
If there is no previous record of sexual offences against children, in respect of the individual concerned, then it may be that no information will be provided.
The police will give you advice on keeping your children safe and will make sure you are aware of what support is available.
It may be that although an individual is not known to the police for sexual offences against children, he or she may be showing worrying behaviour, or may be known for other offences that might put your children's safety at risk - such as serious domestic violence. In this case the police will work with you to protect your children and provide further advice and support.

Step 7

If you do receive information from the police it must be treated as confidential. It is only being given to you so that you can take steps to protect your children. You must not share this information with anyone else unless you have spoken to the police, or person who gave you the information, and they have agreed with you how it will be shared.

 Subject to the condition that the information is kept confidential, you can:
•    use the information to keep yourself and others safe;
•    use the information to keep your children safe;
•    ask what support is available;
•    ask who you should contact if you think you or others are at risk; and
•    ask for advice on how to keep yourself and others safe.
The police may decide not to give you information if they think that you will discuss it with others.
The police may take action against you if the information is disclosed without their consent, which could include civil or criminal proceedings.

Step 8

If nothing is found on the searches - but you still have concerns about your child's safety, contact us.

If you think a child is in immediate danger, call the police on 999.

A number of organisations provide information about child sexual abuse, how to spot it and how to work with the authorities to intervene.
Part of the process of the community disclosure is to make sure that you have information about services.
You can also keep in regular contact with the police.
Even if a person doesn't have a record for sexual offences against children it doesn't mean that he or she is not potentially a risk.


To request a Community Disclosure Check call in at your local police station or phone the police on 101.