HomePublic → Community Disclosure Scheme

Community Disclosure Scheme

What do you need to request a Community Disclosure check?

You can request community disclosure if: 

  • you are the parent, carer or guardian of the child involved in the enquiry;
  • you are concerned about a persons access to someone else's child.

Only the parent, guardian or carer can be given information under the scheme.

Step 1

Anyone can register an interest about an individual and/or child with the police.

Step 2

There are many different ways to contact the police.
You can:

  • visit a police station;
  • phone the police using the non emergency number 101
  • speak to a police officer on the street.

Step 3

To be given any information about a person you must be a parent, carer, or guardian.
You will then be asked to fill in a form with a police officer. This will be explained to you when you first contact the police where an arrangement will be made to have the form completed.
You will need to provide proof of your identity, an address, including a photo ID and some proof of your relationship to the child in question.

Ideally, you will need to show two forms of identification (one of which must be a photo ID). These can be:

  • your passport;
  • your driving licence;
  • your gas or electricity bill
  • your bank statement;
  • your benefit award notice; or
  • your birth certificate.

To establish your relationship with the child you will need to show one of the following:

  • the child's birth certificate;
  • the child's passport; or
  • the child benefit award notice letter.

However, if photo ID is not available, the police will consider other forms of ID.